Skip to main content


By December 10, 2019August 7th, 2023No Comments

Did you know that mold can affect your children’s health? Mold is very common, and can live in almost any indoor environment including: homes, schools, gymnasiums, office buildings, and more.

Mold causes serious indoor air quality problems and can make you and your children very sick. Health problems that can develop from mold contamination include: asthma, allergies, and even harmful effects on cognitive development.

How do you know if you have mold? Can your children be exposed to mold at school? How do you get rid of mold if it is a problem? Come learn more about the effects mold has on children’s health, and what you can do about it!


Did you know that mold plays a role in the development of childhood allergies? Allergies are known to develop over time. People cannot be allergic to something they have never encountered. Your body only recognizes substances (such as mold spores, dust, etc.) as a threat after encountering them many times.8 The process of becoming sensitive to and then allergic to a substance is called allergy sensitization.

In a 2002 study, the risk of allergy sensitization in children was measured by measuring indoor mold exposure in the children’s homes.3 The study concluded that higher concentrations of mold in the home increased the risk of sensitization to both mold and other allergens including dust mites.3 Mold in your home can even contribute to the development of allergies to other allergy causing substances such as dust mite feces.

Remember that mold doesn’t just grow in homes, it can grow in schools as well. Two public schools in Connecticut were tested for mold and students evaluated for allergic rhinitis using a questionnaire.4 Both schools had high mold spores counts, and many of the students and teachers reported allergic symptoms.4 One of the schools was demolished.4 Two years later, the teachers and students from the demolished school still had higher levels of symptoms than they reported before attending the school.4 The authors of the study went on to suggest that all schools should be routinely tested for fungal contamination.

Last August, WSB-TV Atlanta filed an open records request with Atlanta Public Schools for emails mentioning mold for the last 5 years.5 From that request, they learned that more than 30 schools in Atlanta had been having mold problems and been receiving complaints about poor indoor air quality.5 They quoted Dr. Lauren Middlebrooks of Children’s Healthcare of Atlanta as saying, “Naturally, children don’t have as strong of immune systems as adults, so they are more prone to get certain symptoms. People in general who have been exposed to mold over a long period of time can actually develop neurologic symptoms, such as anxiety, decrease in concentration, and also anxiety and mood instabilities.”


In 2006, a group of doctors and scientists studied the effects of home remediation in homes that had children suffering with asthma. For the study, homes of patients with asthma were evaluated for water damage and mold. The homes of some patients were repaired by removing mold and moisture damage.2 Control homes were not repaired. In the homes that had moisture damage repaired and mold removed, parents reported significantly less daily asthma symptoms, and had fewer trips to urgent care facilities due to asthma. There was a significant change in these patient’s lives because the mold was removed from their homes!


There have been few scientific studies on the effects of mold on cognitive development in children. However, there have been many studies on adults. In adults, mold exposure has been associated with disordered brain function, changes in balance, slower blink reflexes, slower reaction times, color discrimination problems, and depression.7

A group from Poland studied the effects of mold on children’s IQ development from birth to six years old.6 IQ scores were used to determine intelligence level at 6 years old.6 Study participants were compared to children who lived in homes without mold.6 They found that children who lived in homes with mold, especially those who were exposed to mold for longer periods of time, had triple the risk of low IQ scoring.6 Even accounting for differences in maternal education level, students who had lived in homes with mold for longer periods of time had a much higher risk of lower IQ scores.6

As you can see, living in a home or working in a school with mold growth is detrimental for the health of both adults and children. Studies have shown that once buildings are repaired the health of the people begins to be restored. Without remediation, it is difficult to improve your health if you live or work in a building with mold.

Here at Branch Environmental, we believe that nobody should live or work in a building that makes them sick! We want you and your children to live your best life in your best health!


Call Branch Environmental. We’re experts not only at mold removal, but at determining and remediating the underlying causes. From hidden mold sources to major contaminants, we can identify exactly what is going on in your home and rid it of environmental toxins, often for good. So you can get back to living your best life!

Branch Environmental – Because nobody should live or work in a building that makes them sick.


Join Thousands Of Other Customers Who Have Already Eliminated Toxins From Their Homes, And Their Lives.